The contents of this website are personal and do not reflect any position of the US Government or the Peace Corps.

Sunday, June 15, 2014

May/June Guyana Experience

Blog entry for May 18, 2014

Greetings from the Hinterland! Laluni is sand, coconut palms, passion fruit trees, papaya, hot sun but cooling breezes, bats, ants, sand fleas, and a warm welcoming community. Musical sounds swell from each of the two churches that flank my host family’s house, while across the street a cricket match is in progress. Laluni residents love cricket as well as volleyball. They love to eat and share snippets of their day around the dinner table. Their dinner tables remind me so much of Kodiak. They have a rich variety of foods most of it grown or raised right here in the immediate area. People are more than happy to offer you a plate of food and a little extra to take home.
Laluni Primary (Nursery to 6th) is where I spend a few days a week. It’s a challenge to remember all the unfamiliar names and faces. The children talk very quietly but always have a huge smile on their faces especially for the PC volunteers.

This is a gentle safe community and I am 8 weeks Guyanese, just a baby.

June 15, 2014


Me, Dany, Jenny, Ester, Orlena, Michael(Laluni Host Family)

Laluni Tarantula

Laundry Day

Broom for sweeping out bat guano every morning in my room.
B

3 comments:

  1. Great pictures! Good luck in Mabaruma. Will you have phone service or any internet access?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful photos! Vivid blog post! Thank you for sharing: I am grinning with excitement for you! (did you include the special bat-guano-broom photo just for me? ;~) )

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe you ate worms.You were already the bravest person I know, so what does that make you? The bravest, bravest person I know? Great blog. Good job!

    ReplyDelete